General Information St Lucia Town
This small town is within the Mtubatuba Municipal area and all laws of SA are valid here.
The village, St Lucia has tap water, electricity, proper streets, shops, mobile phone reception and internet connection via adsl. (Slow according to international speeds standard as village usage exceed cable capacity).
SHOPS IN TOWN
- Laundromats, Post Office, Police station
- Pharmacy (Drug Store), Medical doctors 25 km, resident doctor sometimes
- Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Liquor stores, Kuai Health Food and Wimpy
- Butchery in Supermarket type shops, Hardware, Hairdresser, Beauty Salon Nelique,
- Curios, Fruit Market, Clothes shops, Bait & Tackle Shops, Internet & electronic shop
- Petrol (Gas) Station, Outdoor/camping shop and Camera Shop
- Banks: First National Bank open normal bank days and hours
- Bank teller Machines: ABSA, FNB, Nedbank, Standard Bank
- Bureau de Change at FNB bank and Stationery Shop
- Wi-Fi at The Photo & Internet Shop, coffee shops and some restaurants
- The Photo Shop ( photo Download/ Electronic Equipment Shop/Internet)
- Catholic Church (English) and AGS Agape (Afrikaans) Church Sunday services.
GOOD to KNOW
- Water - Borehole/river water, bottled water is recommended for sensitive systems and drinking. Use tap water for cooking and bathing only.
- Climate: Sub-tropical, very humid summers Nov to March, warm winters, all year rainfall peaking in summer.
- Malaria - no risk area (non-drug measurements recommended). Season starts October, peaks Feb/Mar and ends May. Drug related precaution is your choice and responsibility.
- Permits: Ensure you have the necessary documents for activities that require permits.
- Licences: You must have a licence on your person for fishing, net casting, lobster, mussels taking. No trade is permitted. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the sizes and bag limits for fishing etc. and areas that allow for specific activity.
- Driving on the beach is illegal.
- Swimming in the sea: Beaches are unprotected (no shark nets) with no lifeguards. Be very careful of rip currents and strong side currents.
- NO Swimming in dams, lakes, pans due to crocodiles in all of them.
- Wild Animals move freely as the town is surrounded by a conservation area. Do NOT feed any wild animals, especially the Vervet monkeys and crocodiles.
- Adhere to closing and opening times of the reserves and parks that you visit. Entrance into Eastern Shores is limited to 125 vehicles - over long weekends and peak seasons.
- Peak Seasons are all long weekends (check public holidays) and December school holidays. Peak Season long weekends ensure you have enough cash as ATM machines empty quick and do not get filled till after the long weekend.
- Children are welcome at all restaurants, book for special occasions. No formal dress codes.
WHAT TO BRING
- Own food and all toiletries,
- Swimming/beach towels, extra towels if needed
- Insect repellent, sunscreen cream, hat, Raincoat,
- Binoculars and cameras, Emergency light/torch,
- Wood / charcoal and blitz
- Welcome to bring your own decoder and card (we have limited channels) and dvd's and player.
AMENITIES ON SITE
- Outdoor swimming pool.
- Wooden garden loungers chairs at lake side garden.
- Tree house with slide for small children and toys
- Book exchange.
- Wi-fi at designted area, some units at own garden area.
- General visitor information with a map of the area
- Cleaning facility for fish or other muddy, sandy things.
ELECTRICITY AND WATER
- We have no control over electricity availability. We have a back-up generator for a few lights inside the units, the fridge per unit and maybe TV. A gas bottle with cooker top will be available for boiling water and some creative cooking. The braai can also be used for cooking.
- Generator will be switched off at 9 pm. Each unit has a few candles too.
- Water supply is also affected during and after long power cuts (full day), but not so with short periods. We have water tanks on premises, not for drinking though. Lights and water pump cannot run at the same time.
- The beach, sun and reserves (animals) are not affected by electricity and you can still enjoy your visit and the environment.
More Information Required
Contact St Lucia Wilds - Tel: Int.(+2735) 590 1033 or Local (035) 590 1033
Fax: Int. (+2786) 689 4643 or Local 086 689 4643